Tuesday, February 9, 2010

In Search of Silence


Where: Leverett, MA
When: December 23, 2009

I've been happy but far too busy this year (although I think the "happy" is directly correlated to the "too busy"), and I'm starting to feel a little worn out. I was spending some time longing for a nice big chunk of silence and inactivity - a weeks worth sounded perfect. But since that is simply never going to happen (and I'd just get bored if it did), I decided to spend yesterday noticing every time there was silence and the opportunity to rest. And it turns out, if I allow myself to focus on the times when I can rest, the times when I don't have to speak or think, the majority of my day can be spent in silence.

The moments of silence yesterday included when I was walking the dog, drinking my coffee, eating my breakfast, sitting on the subway, walking to class, taking a sip of water during class, receiving a massage from a fellow student, eating each spoonful of soup during lunch, walking home, and doing the dishes. All of these silly, regular, mundane things suddenly became luxurious pockets of silence and rest.

I happened to pick up "The Places That Scare You" by Pema Chodron yesterday morning, and read the following, which, while not directly related to the practice I did yesterday, certainly influenced the way that I approached the day. It was on the Buddhist slogan "Train in the three difficulties":

"The three difficulties are (1) acknowledging neurosis as neurosis, (2) doing something different, (3) aspiring to continue practicing this way."

Buddhism, or cognitive therapy? I don't see why I have to choose. ;)

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP