Monday, October 12, 2009

Tuned In

Tuned In
Where: Hudson River Park, NYC
When: October 3, 2009

Yesterday I did yoga with my eyes closed. It was kind of an accident - the muscles on one side of my lower back were feeling twingy, and I was having trouble focusing on them throughout the pose, and was therefore making the situation worse. So I closed my eyes briefly, and was able to concentrate not just on my QLs, but also on the rest of my body, in a way that I had been completely unable to access before. I hadn't realized how distracting it is for me to have my eyes open, how quickly I drift into thought and stop paying attention to the pose.

I also rely heavily on my eyes to determine whether my alignment is correct, which is a little crazy since I don't exactly have the best perspective to determine that. So I left my eyes closed the whole time, even through the jump backs and throughs, and I was shocked by how accurate I was able to be about placement, how well my body knew the territory, and how much stronger the poses felt when I just let my body figure out what the right adjustment was.

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP