Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Return (24/365)

Return (24/365)
Where: Over Perry St., West Village, NYC
When: Today
This was the strangest moment - it was an incredibly windy day, and I looked up and between the buildings, these birds (I assume migrating red tails? I couldn't tell from the distance, and with the light) were facing the into the wind, and hanging nearly motionless.

Went to a talk tonight on shikantaza - literally "just sitting" - meditation, given by the Roshi of the zendo I've started sitting at. One of the most interesting parts was interpreting a poem by Shitou Xiqian [700-790], and the following line jumped out for me:

"Turn around the light to shine within, then just return.
The vast inconceivable source can't be faced or turned away from."

I liked the line for itself, but also because it was a turning point within the poem. And ok, because it reminds me of the Bene Gesserit litany against fear. Yeah I know. I'm a dork.

1 comments:

Anonymous October 18, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

Fear is the mind killer.

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP