Thursday, August 13, 2009

Yin and Yang

Yin and Yang
Where: Bronx Zoo, Bronx, NY
When: October 17, 2007
What I like: The simplicity, the subjects, the movement
What I Don't Like: I think it needs a gentle crop. Too much black on top.

I desperately want my camera back. I thought I could handle not having it for a while, particularly since I wasn't going to have any of my processing tools, but I MISS it. I'll check in today and see if I can get it back tomorrow, maybe.

Feeling lost and depressed last night and this morning. I've been sick all week, and am in that awkward recovery phase where I feel fine lying in bed, and therefore bored with lying in bed, and am starting to fuss about getting ready for the move, and seeing the people I want to see, but as soon as I get up and start to try to do something or go somewhere, it all falls apart. I hate days where I don't feel like I did anything meaningful in them.

This is my last full Thursday living in England. It's raining. The last several days, it has been gorgeous at 6am, then overcast and raining from 8am on, so I'm hoping that the trend will be reversed today. I'm having mixed feelings about going home - lots of change and upheaval, but I'm more excited than nervous about almost all of it. I'm sad for the dog, I hope she'll be ok with NYC. I'm worried she'll miss getting to run around in crazy circles, or having fields and woods to explore, or getting to be off leash. She isn't even going to be allowed on the grass to roll around in it! I'm pretty sure dogs don't compare the present to the past the way we do, but I will, and already feel like I'm letting her down.

Speaking of which, I'm going to try to muster enough energy for a half-way decent walk for her, then get myself some coffee. Coffee always makes everything better. Maybe I'll feel better enough today to do some yoga! That would be such a big deal.

2 comments:

Evil Pixie August 13, 2009 at 3:55 AM  

Wow! Great shot! How did you manage it? I always have the worst luck trying to photograph butterflies and other insects. Unless it's bees, I'm complete rubbish at it.

Gwendolyn August 13, 2009 at 4:04 AM  

Thank you Pixie! I was in the butterfly house at the Bronx Zoo, which has a koi pond in it with a painted black bottom. This butterfly was stranded on the little bunch of leaves, and didn't seem interested in going anywhere, so I got to take a bunch of shots.

And take them I did - as I recall, close to 100 or something insane. I'm much more strict with myself nowadays. In this case, I was obsessed with getting a particular shot - I wanted a slow enough shutter speed to show the ominously swirling movement of the fish underneath. I kept expecting my subject to be gulped down any minute! But a shutter speed that slow is hard to work with when you don't have a tripod. So it took a lot of tries to get the right combination of composition, getting my body properly braced and movement free, breath holding, and fish cooperation!

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP