Monday, July 27, 2009

The Dog Barks and Brings Me Back


Where: Solterreno, Vall de Laguar, Spain
When: June 30, 2009
What I Like: The subject, it's such a graceful little statue, the colors, the angle
What I Don't Like: I wish I had backed up just slightly and gotten the entire base. At the time, I was more interested in the expression and movement in the torso and hands, so I didn't care.

The title is a memory and a description of the majority of my meditations in Spain. It was such a necessary interlude, and I think contributed to the manic energy that got me through the last few weeks, but the things I experienced, worked on and learned there now feel as insubstantial and remote as a dream. I'm struggling to find the motivation and discipline to sit every day, and to be present enough to hear the London version of dogs barking. It is so much easier to slip into sticky thoughts about the future, and sleep walk through the last month here.

2 comments:

Bodhin August 3, 2009 at 5:09 AM  

The figure is Vajrasattva. A lot could be said. Associated with purifying, one imagines him above you meditating, from him starts to fall drops of nectar which enter you crown and slowly flow thro you purifying and filling you up. A lot of the figures are deliberately androgynous as they have gone beyond the duality of male/female. A very good book on all the figures is "Meeting the buddhas" by Vessantara.

Love Bodhin

Gwendolyn August 4, 2009 at 5:43 AM  

Thank you Bodhin! I'm going to look around for a similar statue, or I might just print this out when I get back to NYC for whatever section of the apartment I decide to make my "meditation corner".

love,
Gwen

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP