Thursday, February 10, 2011

Resolution


Where: Farmer's Market in Washington DC
When: September 2010

Of the resolutions mentioned in the last post, Practice Positivity is easily the one I'm having the most difficult time with. I have managed to remember it at key moments since starting the project, and have therefore managed to keep skimming over the top of a more negative mindset, but I have so far not been able to fully reverse an already negative state of being.

One of the main things I'm noticing is that I am definitely not pursuing it with the same dedication of the first day of the experiment, which may be why I'm having a harder time with it. While I'm willing to rephrase something positively, I often follow it with negative language such as, "well, that's just a total lie", which is probably less than helpful. I am also almost certainly expecting too much, and would likely be better served by practicing my second resolution, Noticing Accomplishments. Perhaps simply noticing that I've remembered to try to be positive in any given moment (even if the result isn't what I was hoping for) can be success in itself.

6 comments:

ADRIAN February 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM  

Hey! Shut up..........smile and produce images like this. A year ago you had a signature. This is it back..with a bang...it's in colour!
Absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

ADRIAN February 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM  

PS. Please go out and shoot something similar for tomorrow...........f1.2 would be good and in colour. You are a master or mistress of DOF. I buy focus software to avoid it. I really appreciate your pictures.

Gwendolyn February 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM  

f1.2! Madness, the best I've got is 1.8. Lucky for me, the lens is pretty good for $150, maybe someday I'll shell out for the big guns.

I'm glad the DOF shots don't bore you, I worry about getting stuck in a genre, but I guess I should just enjoy what I'm good at, huh?

Kristi February 11, 2011 at 9:55 AM  

Agree with the gorgeous comment, not so much the "shut up." What's a blog for if not for you and those who support you?

Care to share what lens you use? I'd love one that fast and $150 isn't too much change...

Gwendolyn February 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

Thanks Kristi! Adrian means well, he's just sometimes a little rough around the edges. ;) I'm using the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, which B&H has for $125 at the moment - even less than I thought!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

I love love love it, it's the only thing I shoot with, other than a used Nikkor 20mm 2.8D. I recently played around with a rented zoom lens (17-55 2.8), I keep toying with abandoning the primes for something a little more convenient, but the results don't make me feel as warm and fuzzy inside.

The two shots of David in the next post are with the zoom lens. I had to make them black and white because it just wasn't fast enough in the cafe, so I had to really push the ISO. As a result, the colors were kind of off and the noise was out of control.

Kristi February 13, 2011 at 1:38 PM  

Thanks for the info! I mostly photograph when traveling, so I went with the 18-200 zoom first in order to get away with packing one lens. But a fast, sharp prime is next on the list...

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP