Saturday, February 12, 2011

Last leaf


Where: Central Park, NYC
When: February 12, 2011

It was Dave's birthday today, and we spent it having delicious brunch, followed by walking through Central Park to the Met, walking into the Met's main hall, deciding that actually we didn't want to go any further into the Met, and walking back down Central Park to have DELICIOUS coffee and chocolate at Fika. Then we came home and collapsed.

While Dave programmed on the couch, I went through the photos I had taken with the lens I rented over the weekend - it is another 50mm lens (I already own one), but this one goes to 11! Not really - it has a maximum aperture of f1.4, while my other 50mm starts at f1.8. I was experimenting to see whether I want the extra two stops, and also whether the quality was notably better.

I still haven't decided - the extra two stops are nice, but it is notably finicky about sharpness and focus points - having a lens open that wide gives you a thin sliver of focus, which may or may not land where you thought it was going to land when you took the photo. I'm sort of wondering whether this copy is soft, in fact. It is, however, a bit brighter even when the settings and subject are identical, and I like that. And the colors are pretty, and the bokeh is smooth and cool looking, which is really the main (photography related) thing that makes my insides go all gooey. I'll post some more from the 1.4 version as the week goes on.

2 comments:

ADRIAN February 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM  

This is a superb shot.....difficult to say if it wants sharpening. It will if you didn't.
I have a macro lens that is impossible on auto focus. I use live view and zoom in then focus manually.
If you want more leaf or whatever it's a focus blending job.
A real beauty non the less.

ADRIAN February 12, 2011 at 11:34 PM  

PS. probably a case of Grandmothers and eggs but select the portion of leaf you want to sharpen. If you sharpen the even tones you will sharpen any noise that's present.

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP