Friday, November 13, 2009


Where: Bradford, Vermont
When: November 7, 2009

I'm getting frustrated with exporting photos out of Lightroom - particularly with the d90, there's a lot of info getting compressed into the smaller size, so in images like this with lots and lots of details, the details get compressed and the result is a much darker image than I intended, or that it appears to be in Lightroom, so I have to do some guesswork to lighten it enough for export. Didn't really work with this one, and I'm kind of on the fence about the quality of the composition of this one anyway, but I like the shadows and the winding path. And the location, obviously. ;) This is the pasture I grew up in, for those of you who don't know me. Kind of literally, we didn't have tv in the house so catching crickets and hanging out with the mules were our primary sources of entertainment for the summer.

4 comments:

ADRIAN November 13, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

Try compressing yourself go to image select sRGB, go to image size uncheck resample drop pixel to 72. recheck resample drop largest side to 900 pixels select bicubic sharper, click OK and save as a jpeg.

Anonymous November 18, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

Hi Gwen,

A lot gets blamed on JPEG itself, which is purely a data-compression technique, but there are many other alterations done automatically, in-camera, before the image is finally compressed for storage.

Hence all the hoopla about shooting "RAW," which is basically allowing you to get the image data straight off the imaging sensor before manually processing the image.

There's also a whole following in High-Dynamic-Range photography. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Just some stuff to add to your toolbox.

moy

ADRIAN November 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

Hi Gwendolyn, I agree, you must shoot in RAW and edit raw files at 16bit.Convert to 8bit later for lightroom if it won't handle 16bit or if your computer is slow. Always remember unless your monitor is calibrated you won't be seeing what others see. Load of blarney! Nobody sees the same, men are generally hopeless, I get Laura to colour balance mine if I'm printing.
Also I notice a difference if I compose my blog in Livewriter to composing in the blogger WYSIWYG. I use the former and am generally happy. one other point do you use in camera noise suppression? Seems to work for me. All the best.

Gwendolyn November 18, 2009 at 3:24 PM  

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I am currently shooting in raw (which I love, I was surprised by how much more flexibility I get in post, I didn't expect it to make much of a difference).

I do not use any in camera stuff - or at least, while the camera may apply stuff, it gets stripped out in lightroom as it's shot in raw.

And I love HDR images, I just have yet to develop the patience to bring a tripod and do it!

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP