Saturday, August 8, 2009

Turn the Key


Where: Hudson River Park, NY, NY
When: July 7, 2009

I've been having a reoccurring dream. I'm living in a house with dangerous, frightening people, who behave in violent and unpredictable ways. And I decide that I've had enough, so one day when I'm alone I pick a room as deep in the house as possible, and I gather my pets, and all the guns and ammo I can find, and systematically go through the house and lock every window, and lock every door, and I go down the last hall, locking door after door behind me, until I'm in the last room. I lock that door, feeling the cold metal in my hand and hearing the bolt slide in place, and I back into the farthest corner of the room and wait. And then I wake up, sweating, the sick taste of fear in my mouth.

So I had the dream again recently, but this time the ending was different. I lock the last door, and crouch beside it, the key pressing into my fingers. I start to panic, realizing that somehow the people have learned about my rebellion, my betrayal, and are on their way back to the house. And I leap up and rush to a window, thinking I'll escape into the surrounding woods - I can get there before they come home and I can just pick a direction and run and run. But then I remember my pets, and while I could take Piper I can't take the cats, and I can't leave them. So I go back to rushing around the room, and the time to make my decision gets shorter and shorter.

Suddenly, pressed against the door again, frantically listening for the people's return, I am aware of my breathing, the feel of the door against my cheek, and the key in my hand. I stand up, and turn the key, and walk down the hall. I open the next door, and the next. I walk to the front door, turn the key, and step out into a cool, crisp fall day. As I head for the driveway, I hear the growl of a car's engine, tires crunching on gravel. The late day sun slants past the corner of the house, marking a blinding path. I hear car doors slam, voices shouting. I put my hands up, and step into the light.

My body burns like fire, clean and bright, and the dream slowly fades away.

2 comments:

Evil Pixie August 8, 2009 at 8:36 PM  

Wow! Wonderful image! I love the moody shadows and subtle color.

Bodhin August 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

great dream! We can become aware in our dreams. The courage to face our own fears and change. Keep dreaming and keep owning the dreams.

Love Bodhin

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP