Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Crow Road

The Crow Road
Where: Hampstead Heath, London, UK
When: April 14, 2009
What I Like: The timing of the crow and the man's posture, and the general moodiness
What I Don't Like: A little too dark, I wish the dog hadn't gotten to the woods yet, needed a fairly heavy crop so the quality isn't great.

Second day of moving today - almost everything got packed yesterday, although I realized last night that the paintings were simply placed into (ill-fitting, not properly shaped) boxes, without being bubble wrapped, so I'm going to ask them to repack them, wrapping them each individually.

Today they'll attempt to get the couch out the window, pack up the remaining stuff and get it all into the truck. There's only two of them, so the couch is going to be at best entertaining, and at worst disastrous.

3 comments:

ADRIAN July 22, 2009 at 4:48 AM  

This is another good one. If you have editing software try dodging and burning to lighten and darken selected areas. Duplicate the layer first and use a soft brush at 15%/20% opacity. if you don't like the result just delete the background copy.

Gwendolyn July 23, 2009 at 1:50 AM  

Thanks Adrian! I normally have Lightroom, which has a nifty "fill light" slider, which might have done what you are suggesting, although across all the dark areas, rather than a selected section. I think I tried it and was frustrated by the amount of grain. Although as a BW (it's actually more de-saturated than pure BW) the grain doesn't usually bother me that much. The noise issues I'm having these days are currently driving me to think about upgrading from the D80.

No processing of anything until my computer gets delivered on the other side, but I really appreciate the suggestion, and will test it out when I get my tools back!

ADRIAN July 23, 2009 at 4:04 AM  

Aye the slider just adjusts the image globally, you need the thing that looks like a table tennis bat and a fist. If you want to go the global route then try brightness and contrast. Don't use Lightroom but it should have dodge and burn. Just remember to either copy the original or edit using layers so that you can delete the inevitable cuckoos! read all the camera reviews cos noise is a nightmare.

Followers

About Me

My photo
New York City, United States

About This Blog

This is my first blog attempt. It hasn't been kept up over the last year, for some reason being pregnant really ate into my creativity, and I picked up the camera very rarely. I am thinking about starting it up again, but am not sure what direction to take it in.

Search This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP